Believe it or not...
This chip of wood is all that remains of the trees that were standing on the grounds of the Ford Mansion when Washington used it as a military headquarters. The chip of wood was collected on April 12, 1898 by Miss Marion Crane Lyon of Caldwell, New Jersey.
About This Series
This online exhibit series shows the type of objects the Washington Association of New Jersey collected in its early years. Collecting before any standards existed, the museum accepted donations based on the donor’s word. Today, the museum would conduct thorough research about the history and authenticity of these objects and then make the decision whether or not to accept them into the collection. This is a prime example of how standards changed as the museum field became professionalized. Although we adhere to different standards today, we are happy to share these oddities in our collection.
Exhibit curated by Joni Rowe, Museum Specialist.