Monday, May 11, 2015
Wick House Will Close for the Summer
Morristown, NJ – Morristown National Historical Park’s circa 1750 Wick House will close for the summer on May 20th, 2015, in order to conduct much-needed rehabilitation work on its chimney and fireplace. All of Jockey Hollow and the grounds around the Wick House, including the Wick Garden, will remain open to the public during the rehabilitation. Safety zones will be set up in the area immediate surrounding the house to ensure visitors’ safety.
The New England and Long Island inspired style house belonged to Henry Wick, the biggest landowner in Morristown, whose property included approximately 1400 acres. At least four brigades of the Continental Army, and possibly parts of two other brigades, camped on Wick’s land during the winter of 1779-1780. The troops cut down at least 600 acres of Wick’s trees to build their huts and to use as firewood. Wick also allowed Major General Arthur St. Clair to rent rooms in his home during the encampment.
The home remained a private residence until 1933, when Morristown National Historical Park was created and the house was donated to the new park. From 1934-1935, the National Park Service restored the house as a New Deal, Public Works Administration project.
Morristown National Historical Park preserves, protects, and commemorates the landscapes, structures, features, and museum collections of the Continental Army winter encampments, the headquarters of General George Washington, and related Revolutionary War sites at Morristown, New Jersey for the benefit and inspiration of the public. Morristown NHP also represents a continuum of our nation’s efforts to protect our common heritage: as the very first “national historical park”, the park was also established to commemorate, preserve, and memorialize American history and heritage